Re: not a slam

Subject: Re: not a slam
From: "Diane Brennan (Write Stuff)" <a-dianeb -at- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:06:41 -0700

In this situation, I'd ask if there's a system in place for adding new
paragraph tags to the existing template. For example, you could add a
paragraph tag for wide code to accommodate code that runs wider than normal.
Your production folks are probably trying to toe the line in the name of
consistency, which actually can be helpful to documentation usability. But
since technical accuracy takes priority over adherence to templates, there
has to be some flexibility. I've also tech writers who added special
paragraph tags to certain documents that contained information that just
didn't fit the mold, using a Z prefix. For example, Z-CodeWide, or
something like that. That way, the production person knew to leave the
formatting alone on that information.