Re: Grammar? YES!

Subject: Re: Grammar? YES!
From: "Diane Brennan (Write Stuff)" <a-dianeb -at- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:35:06 -0700

Tony, this is a hilarious example of technical writing errors!

I think your point is well taken that some technical writers believe that it
is more important to write documentation that is technically accurate and
complete than to write documentation that is comprehensible and easy to
read. The reality is that we must do all these things or risk confusing the
reader.

I like the sentence construction you use in your example, where "such" is
referring to the direct object in the previous sentence. I've seen this
confusing construction several times in documents written by programmers.
Then there's the obvious mistakes: incorrect hyphenation, missing
punctuation, spelling errors, typos. Did you pull these examples from a
real document?

Thanks for the laugh!

Diane