Re: Grammar? YES!

Subject: Re: Grammar? YES!
From: Richard Frederick <Fred_Ri -at- CENTRAL -dot- PRINTRONIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:41:18 -0700

Please let me know if I am "off base" with the following generalization,
but please don't throw things.

Most of us write grammatically correct documentation. We do that from an
implicit knowledge of grammar or a large interest in the subject. I
believe most of my knowledge comes from exposure, my father is an
attorney (I have heard ALL of the lawyer jokes ... and agree with 97% of
them), and a lot of reading.

My point is this. The fact that we don't do all of our writing with our
grammar book open does not mean that we disregard the rules. If you
write well, don't use the reference. If you do not write well, it is
arrogant to disregard the rules. The rules are there for a consistency
in communication, and have been developed and agreed upon for a long
long time.

I will get down off of my soap box now.

Sincerely,
Richard