Re: Isolation and the technical communicator

Subject: Re: Isolation and the technical communicator
From: Debbie Figus <debbief -at- NETVISION -dot- NET -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:52:36 +0300

Very interesting topic, and I think quite relevant to the work we do. Where
I live, many people are interested in going into technical writing, and I
get a number of calls from potential tw-ers to find out about the field.
Along with all the things I talk about with them, I tell them that
personality-wise, you have to be content working alone and independently
much of the time. I think it?s a significant factor in job satisfaction.

Not too long ago, there was some discussion on this list about the need for
good interviewing and interpersonal skills, in order to get the information
we need from SME?s. I agree this is very important. Even so, I spend most
of my day alone in front of this computer screen, and in my case, it suits
me just fine. My current workplace is an unusually social environment, and
the walls of my work area don?t go all the way up the ceiling (sort of a
cross between an office and a cubicle.) So actually, I highly value my
semi-private corner. If I want to interact with other people, I can just
walk down the hall and have a chat.

In my former career (and former country), I was a social worker. I put a
tremendous amount of personal/emotional energy into my work, and it took a
lot out of me. I find that since technical writing doesn't make these
emotional demands, I have much more of myself to give to my life outside of
work.

One more thing: Since I?m a lone technical writer, I find this list a
genuine source of camaraderie and professional community. Since there?s no
one else in my company to talk to about the variety of issues involved in
this work, I get a lot from reading the list.

Debbie Figus
Excalibur Systems
Jerusalem, Israel