Re: Salary Survey from STC

Subject: Re: Salary Survey from STC
From: Nancy Hickman <nhickman -at- GVI -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:30:07 -0500

The problem is that they don't break out consulting rates versus salary
or break out on skill. I do know people making upwards 100K, but they
are consultants. By the way, people in the midwest do indeed earn those
sorts of salaries that are published for the STC. I ought to know. I've
worked with several groups earning that range in the midwest.

By the way, if I showed a STC survey to a manager and got the response
that they must be a pack of liars, I'd bet that the manager didn't get
the answer he or she was looking for.

Also, the Source EDP surveys are on the low end, and they are not
motivated to publish what they actually charge the client who uses their
services. They are motivated to hire people at a lower rate, charging
the client a much higher hourly rate. Most application developers and
other software personnel would laugh at the rates shown for them on
these surveys.

If you don't like the surveys, take some action. This is not the first
time that people on this list have complained about them. However, I
wonder how many have forwarded their complaints to the people
constructing them. Write or lobby the people constructing these surveys
to get a change.

-- Nancy