Re: Become a tech writer in only 70 hours

Subject: Re: Become a tech writer in only 70 hours
From: Nancy Hickman <nhickman -at- GVI -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 12:22:59 -0500

These sorts of enterprises that promise that you can become a highly
paid technical writer offer just that - promises.

I'd say that the "top-out" rate is a remote possibility, used as a
carrot. Often they try to hire you at 20-30% of the real rate they are
being paid, or at a low salary with no overtime, although they charge it
to the clients. I'd want to ask if the clients of these companies get a
discount for the new starts.

The shortage of skilled workers is often defined by people who don't
want to pay the salary or the benefits or offer a career ladder that
offers long term growth of technical writers.

-- Nancy