Re: Salary Survey from STC

Subject: Re: Salary Survey from STC
From: Julie Knoeller <jknoelle -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:52:14 -0700

Remember that you're talking about CONtracting and not employment.
Contractors without benefits should be making close to double their
employed counterparts. At least that's the rule of thumb that I've seen
applied over the years.

I realize that Silicon valley is kind of a world apart, but the emPLOYed
salary range for the lowest senior writer/editor grade in the 3 companies
I've worked for here is $59k to $91k. Since the competition to hire writers
here is so intense, it would follow that that range is pretty common
(here). I've also talked to a few contract agencies and found no trouble
with hourly rates beginning at $45.

Another $0.02