Re: Salary Surveys, my last 2 cents

Subject: Re: Salary Surveys, my last 2 cents
From: Julie Knoeller <jknoelle -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 14:04:42 -0700

Don't ya just love a good fire fight? I just don't get a
good catharsis often enough... Anyway,

At 01:54 PM 6/10/98 -0500, Taylor, Steve wrote:
>I agree with Julie K. Maybe we're talking apples and oranges. She is right
>though...contracting rates have to be higher than employee rates. And
>silicon valley must be higher than dallas! Can you buy a four-bedroom house
>for $125-135K in San Jose? And I'm not talking slums...

Absolutely not. Recently a study concluded that the median price for a TWO
bedroom house in Burlingame was $500,000. That was six months ago, so
prices should have gone up another %10.
I've heard that we have about a 98% occupancy rate here. I also recently
read that SV is now THE most expensive place to live, outdoing Boston, DC,
and Hawaii. Rents are no better. My tiny 2-bedroom dump is $1400/mo. It
cost me $750 to register my car when I moved here...yadda, yadda,
yadda...So, it all is, of course, relative. I keep hoping this
telecommuting myth becomes reality so I can move back into the woods.

Happy days,
jk