Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?

Subject: Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?
From: Michelle Nolan <nolanmj -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:26:46 PDT

Tony:

It depends what side of the table you are coming from-- employee or
independent.

I am an independent and work from written contracts. Normally, I meet
with a client to gather all the known specs for a project. I write up a
bid to complete the work. All but one of my clients has wanted to know
up front the hours it would take to complete the work. So, I usually
come up with a range (e.g., 100-120 hours). But, in the bid, I also
include that the hours and rate is based on all the knowns covered in
the meeting (existing doc to be turned over to me, outline of document
to be written, page requirements, etc). And, I specify that if the
knowns or requirements change, I have the right to issue a project
modification.

The bid becomes a contract when the customer and I sign off on it. Once
this happens, I have to abide by my bid (based on the knowns). I've
become quite good at estimating my time, and luckily have not had to eat
extra hours. And, the mod clause offers me some added protection for
the unknowns.

My previous experience as an employee or contract employee has been
quite different. There, estimates were just that from my perspective.
And, the knowns changed constantly. However, management is often not
aware of all the changes, and expects to see the work when it was
originally promised. That is why, in the past, I have kept a weekly log
of changes AND the additional duties assigned to me while I was supposed
to be working on the deadline. I passed this onto direct management
contacts. That way, they were in the loop and knew what progress I was
(or wasn't) making on their particular project. I prefer not to have
stressful surprises or expectations.

Hope this helps-

Michelle Nolan
The Nolan Technology Group, Inc.