Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?

Subject: Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:13:43 -0500

What do you think?

I think that an estimate which is revised often is meaningless. Take, for
example, an auto repair. When the mechanic gives an estimate and you OK
the work, how do you feel when he calls back three more times during the
day to revise that estimate upwards?

Estimates are free and loose when the task begins, but as the project goes
forward they become milestones for the management of the project and other
decisions are made based on them. If they retain their fluidity, it
jeopardizes the success of the entire project.

Look on this as incentive to improve your ability to estimate. ;{>}

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224