Re[2]: Screen vs. Window

Subject: Re[2]: Screen vs. Window
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:09:12 -0500

If I am not mistaken, windows originated with Apple and then Microsoft
(Bill) began using windows with their (his) operating systems.

Oooh, er. Windows as a user interface element really began at Xerox, though
Apple was the first to make them actually usable as an interface element
(those of you who have seen a Xerox Star in action will understand that
statement).

The possibly apochryphal story about it is that after Bill Atkinson saw the
Star in action, he "remembered" a behavior in the windows that they didn't
actually have, and he stayed up late for weeks trying to duplicate it. In
fact, the Xerox developers had never been able to solve that particular
issue, but Bill Atkinson's faulty memory made him sure they had. So, not
knowing it was impossible, he did it.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224