New Question - online doc vs hard doc

Subject: New Question - online doc vs hard doc
From: Debbie Stewart <Debbie_Stewart -at- SIECOR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:57:55 -0400

Famous words by "Schweizer Alex"
<<< I'd like to hear other companies philosophies when it comes to
delivering documentation?
I grew up on hard docs, then Help, and shudder to think of ever going
back to hard docs (we're not going back, I just
shudder to think about it). I know there is the aspect of the security
blanket, especially for older, new computer users, but part of our
philosophy is that we, as the vendor, should not only lead the horse to
the trough but make the horse
drink as well (or at least teach the horse how to drink, or that
drinking the water is in the horse's best interest, or that the horse
had better drink the water in the trough because we're not shipping
water in the same old blue buckets anymore).>>>>

Whoa, horsey. As an older, new user of computers, I love learning what's
ahappening and new trends, but I can also value the portability of hard
copy. I don't even mind sitting curled up on a couch and peruse through
computer manuals, rather than sitting at the computer using online help.
The last 60+ word sentence there of yours is a bit loaded.

Please don't ever assume the responsibility of telling your customers
what is in their *best interest* or that you can *teach the horse to
drink*. If you decide to do away with your old blue buckets, you may
just well lose some of your old horses, too. I, for one, am a consumer,
and do not like the attitude of businesses trying to cram something down
my gullet. Or up anything else for that matter.

Debbie Stewart
Lone Tech Writer
Siecor Operations, LLC
Hickory NC
704-327-5143
debbie -dot- stewart -at- siecor -dot- com

Standard disclaimers go here. . . . . .