Re: Re cultural differences affecting techwriting

Subject: Re: Re cultural differences affecting techwriting
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <Phillinion -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:47:40 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-16 14:00:04 EDT, mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il writes:

<< They say that the Japanese expect to be led by hints and
anecdotes to discover for themselves how to do things, rather
than to be told directly. >>

Having just worked on a localization project for Japan, I can say that this
seems to be the case, er, sort of. Our "man in Japan" informed us that so
far, the end-users have ignored the documentation entirely and prefer to play
with the equipment/application until they figure out how to make it work.

That being the case, I think I must be "turning Japanese" to quote and 80's
pop song, since that tends to be the way I approach each new product.

BJ