Re: UN*X Help

Subject: Re: UN*X Help
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 21:03:38 -0400

Thanks, Scott and everyone else who replied... I feel educated now.
There's no need to avoid a letter... saying "UNIX" out loud is still
safe. As for copyright pages, I won't even get into whether UNIX is
covered by "All other products are trademarks of their respective
corporations" lines on copyright pages...

----->Mike
Proud user of Mac*S and W*ndows, among other tools of the trade...

On 6/18/1998 3:22 PM, Scott Miller (smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM) wrote:

>What I meant was that it's OK to write UNIX in casual conversations,
>such as email, without legal ramifications. In documentation, trademark
>stuff applies to UNIX, you bet. This started way before my time, but the
>thinking was that you could get in trouble writing "UNIX" even in
>bulletin board or Usenet posts. "Don't write UNIX! They'll come and get
>you!" was the idea. At least, that's the story I got from someone who
>used to do such things.
>
>- Scott Miller
>smiller -at- portal -dot- com
>> I work for a company that has to reference UNIX in our documentation
>> quite a bit, and we are required to show a circle-R registered
>> trademark symbol at first usage and to put the following on
>> our copyright page:

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman