ISO 9000: Role of the TW

Subject: ISO 9000: Role of the TW
From: Eve Griblin <Eve -dot- Griblin -at- GVRD -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 10:57:37 -0700

I am a Technical Writer involved in an ISO 9000 documentation compliance
strategy. I am interested to find out the scope of responsibility other
TWs have had in this type of project.

Previous discussions have commented that senior management is required
to drive production, but has anyone had to lead this kind of project on
their own? What strategies did you employ?

My project is a priority for senior management, as stated at the monthly
staff meetings, but I am working alone to manage documentation meetings,
assign tasks, ensure team review, coordinate the approval process, and
post everything to an Intranet. On a couple of occasions I had a manager
who was able to set up a schedule to lead their team - documentation
production was noticeably much more efficient.

Is there anyone else out there in a similar position? What do you do
when you don't have a manager to ensure team members have time to
contribute to the process?

Thanks,
Eve Griblin