Re: PC hardware requirements for TWs

Subject: Re: PC hardware requirements for TWs
From: Sharon Burton <sharonburton -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:02:03 -0700

I am a consultant and as such bring my own computers to each project. But I
have been asked to recommended for clients and the case I present is this:

Technical writers are developing (a very key word here) documentation,
online help, graphics art, etc. As developers (again, that important word)
of this technical information, they need to have the fastest, biggest
computers available. You would not ask the software developers (notice that
parallel?) to develop code on an inferior and slow machine, would you? Of
course not. It would be a waste of their valuable development time as they
wait for the machine to catch up with what they are developing. The same
goes for the developers (getting the idea?) of technical information. Why
would you waste their development time waiting for the machines to catch up
with them?

Has worked in every case I have presented it.

Stop thinking like you are a marketing person or other person who doesn't
really need the high-end machines and you are off the critical path of
product development. You have to present things as though what you are doing
is every bit as important as writing code (or however your product is
created). The truth is you and your development efforts are as important as
the other parts of the product. What good is any product if no one knows how
to use it?

sharon

Sharon Burton
Anthrobytes Consulting
Home of RoboNEWS, the award-winning unofficial RoboHELP Newsletter
www.anthrobytes.com
anthrobytes -at- anthrobytes -dot- com