Re: Cdn TW Courses

Subject: Re: Cdn TW Courses
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- POP -dot- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:07:26 -0400

I can talk for the Concordia University Certificate in Technical
Communication, in Montreal. This Certificate program is offered as part of
Continuing Education. I teach there.

In addition to various courses offered such as Graphic Design, Programming,
Desktop Publishing, etc., the core courses are Basic Editing, Technical
Writing (levels I and II), Technical Editing, and Advanced Tools in Tech.
Communication (a sort of melting pot of several non-writing topics such as
ISO 9000, SGML-HTML, Usability, Online Help, Internet-Web, etc.) that would
interest technical writers.

I have been teaching Technical Writing II, Technical Editing, and Advanced
Tools for the past 3 years. To my knowledge, this Concordia Certificate
program is the only complete program in technical communication in Quebec.
The one at the Université of Sherbrooke is called Professional Writing, and
I heard that it contains only one or two technical writing courses.

Waterloo seems to be in a league of its own (in Canada at least). This coop
program can give you a Bachelor's Degree in Technical Communication. It
enjoys an excellent reputation in Ontario and Quebec. A few years ago, I had
the opportunity to go to Waterloo to interview students, and subsequently
hired a couple of coop students from that program. It was a terrific
experience and I was most satisfied with the coops. If you're fast enough to
get first pick at the students, you will not be disappointed. Those students
are topnotch.

HTH,

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- total -dot- net