Re: Format for receiving document reviews

Subject: Re: Format for receiving document reviews
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:50:26 -0700

Jean Weber wrote:

> I am the editor on a large project. Because I don't work in the same
> location as the writers (who are in at least two different cities), the
> only practical way for me to edit their documents is in electronic form.
> They are using Microsoft Word (I know, I know...), so it's quite easy to
> use the revision feature to mark my edits and insert questions and
> comments.

I'm not familiar with Word's revision features but I have in the
past tried to mark up documents electronically with little success.
I had an especially difficult time indicating things I wanted moved.
I also found it much more time consuming to use online features than
to wield a red pen! Most of my writers also prefer hard-copy markup
because they can check off things they've done and scrawl notes in
response to mine. It's also easier for them to file the edit than
to keep various copies of online markups from various reviewers.

I've resorted to FedEx'ed printed edits to deal with writers offsite and
although it's costly it seems to work best for us.

-- Janice

[P.S. Hope the move went smoothly!]