The word "documentation"

Subject: The word "documentation"
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:33:48 -0700

Websters' first (and most applicable) definition for "documentation" is
this: "the act or an instance of furnishing or authenticating with
documents."

It's always annoyed me that this perfectly good noun has also been used
to described manuals, guides, etc. "Documentation" is the *act* of
writing manuals, according to Websters, not the manuals themselves.

I write to see if you'll at least hesitate before calling the product of
your efforts the "d" word, and call them "manuals" or "guides." It'd be
just one less annoying thing in this world, for me at least...

Cheers,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications