Re: The word "documentation" -Reply

Subject: Re: The word "documentation" -Reply
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:40:26 -0400

Actually, the term "Xerox" is protected, as is "Coke" and "Pepsi", and I
believe "Kleenex" is as well. Though we may use them in casual
conversation, to refer to them in formal documents would be an infringement
(unless of course, you refer to a "xerox" and it actually was produced on a
Xerox copier). In restaurants, when patrons order a "coke" and the
establishment uses a competitive cola, they are legally obligated to ask if
the alternative would be acceptable (you should see their face though, if
you say "No" - I did that once!).

The usage of the words follow a different rule, because they are actual
names of companies, and steps have been taken to preserve the Company name
and not allow it to become a common term.

My knowledge comes from working for one of the above-named companies, and
being involved in the process to protect the name.

Suzette

Mike Stockman wrote:
snip> Not to pick non-tech writing nits here or anything, but most of the
> people I know never use Kleenex as a generic noun,

snip> I also don't tell people I'm going to "Xerox" something,