Re: Word 97 numbering question

Subject: Re: Word 97 numbering question
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:34:59 -0400

Greetings Ginna!

On Friday, June 26, 1998 05:47, Ginna Watts
[SMTP:sweep!gwatts -at- QUESTERCORP -dot- COM] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Moving to 97....I would consider myself more or less an expert, (in

Geez-Louise... I thought I was an expert too until I opened up Word97. I
want my Word 7.0 back! <waaaaah>

> How do you set the style so that the default is to restart the
> numbering!!!! Every time I start a new list, I have to right-click,

I had the exact same problem just a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I came
up with. So far, it hasn't caused me any problems:

What you can do is create Ghost styles. These styles indent the paragraph
and don't have numbering on them. The Step Ghost style I have on my
template has the following description (Steps is the name of my numbering
style)

Steps + Indent: First 0", No numbering, Tabs:Not at 0.75

Therefore, if you have a numbered list and needed a break, you would do
this:

1. This is using a numbered list style.
2. This is using a numbered list style.
3. This is using a numbered list style.
This is using a Ghost style.
4. This is using a numbered list style.

Everytime you start a new list, however, you will have to restart the
numbering. Using the numbering styles and the ghost styles, the list have
stayed fairly stable.

Please contact me if you have any comments!

Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey -- Lone Tech Writer -- jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com
Web Resume: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

No trees weres harmed in writing this email.
My messages are made from elephant tusks and dolphin meat.

Don't confuse my opinions with my employer's opinions.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.