Re: TW and relocation

Subject: Re: TW and relocation
From: Steve Arrants <SArrants -at- DATAFUSION -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 13:40:04 -0700

David Warren writes:
> I stand by what I wrote (or sit, as the case might be.)

The Santa Rosa Press-Democrat reported this past Saturday that the Bay
Area, as a whole, is the 10th most expensive region to live. San
Francisco is the most expensive city in which to live.

> Of course
> someone willing to spend several hours a day driving to get a
> cheaper
> house spends less...but I value my time (and sanity).
>
> Neither I nor any of my comrades would submit to a 90-minute
> commute
> (I hate to even ask if the correspondant meant 90-each-way or
> 90-round-trip!)

I commute from Guerneville (Russian River area) to San Francisco (SOMA
area). I leave the house at 5:30am and get to my desk at 8:30am. I
leave work at 4:45pm and pull into my driveway at about 7:30pm. My
commute includes a drive to the bus station, a bus to SF, and a SF Muni
train to my office, and vice versa.
I telecommute twice a week (thank god!)

> One Project Manager I worked with years ago said that employees
> expected to count commuting time as work time! I never quite
> believed
> him....

We have folks at my office who commute from Sunnyvale, Cupertino (South
Bay); Oakland and Orinda (East Bay); and Marin and Petaluma (North Bay).

The company is a bit flexible about start/quit times and encourages
telecommuting.

> David T. Warren
> Pubs. Mgr., Nextel
> (former consultant of 18 years standing...err, sitting)

Stephen Arrants, Jr.
DATAFUSION, Inc.
139 Townsend Street Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94107-1922