Re: TW and relocation for contract writers

Subject: Re: TW and relocation for contract writers
From: Steve Arrants <SArrants -at- DATAFUSION -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 11:06:17 -0700

John David Hickey writes:
> Greetings!
> Should contract writers expect any compensation if they are forced to
> relocate (either permanently or temporarily)? I'm thinking
> about relocating
> to the States next year (as a resident) to find some contract
> tech writing
> work. Should relocation money be part of my negotiation? How
> do you couch
> such a request?

I'd be VERY surprised if a company would pay relocation expenses to a
contractor/freelancer. Relocation expenses are used to attract, recruit
and retain staff. Contractors are typically hired for a specific
project (often with the possibility of going perm. staff, or picking up
another contract at the same company).

I think if you approach a company as a contractor and ask for relocation
expenses, you'll be shown the door.

Stephen Arrants, Jr.
DATAFUSION, Inc.
139 Townsend Street Suite 100