Re: All Technical Writers Make $100,000

Subject: Re: All Technical Writers Make $100,000
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 13:44:45 -0700

David Orr correctly stated:

> Buying companies can hire free-lance writers directly, but they will not
> pay
> an individual what they pay agencies. <snip>

One big point to make here:

If you are self employed, and not working through an agency, you have got to
have (and pay for) liability insurance.

Hypothetical example:

You are working for me, a jerk face boss. I am a slave driver that totally
believes that workers hate to work, and must be watched carefully. I badger
you every three hours as to your (slow) progress, and chew your butt off
about how slow you are working.

After four weeks you get mad, fed up, and quit.

I then sue you for libel for causing my company a loss of profits for a
delay in the introduction of my product.

You now have to hire a lawyer and fight my law suit.

That is going to cost you big, even if you win the case - so you better be
making big bucks up front, and paying that liability insurance!

Otherwise the $200,000 I clam to have lost in the delay of my product is
going to come out of your pocket.

This happened to a member of the Central Jersey STC.

Be careful out there...

Barry Kieffer
Technical Writer (and no where near $100,000/year)