Re: Engineering font?

Subject: Re: Engineering font?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:26:14 -0400

At 11:34 AM 7/29/98 -0500, Patty Ewy wrote:

>I'm working on polishing a 40+ page document all about transformers. The
>document includes many mathematical and Greek characters in its formulas.
>
>I'm on a Mac and am using the Garamond font. When I run into a character
>I can't find in that font, I'm using the Symbol fonts ... but there are a
>couple I'm having trouble tracking down. Anybody know of a font that
>includes more of these kinds of characters? Do I need to get a Greek
>font to be sure that I am getting all the Greek characters? What about a
>mathematical font?
>
>Thanks for your help.

Patty,

If this is a one-time thing, and if the equations are fairly
simple, you might be able to get by simply by using Symbol
characters or characters from a Greek font.

If you are going to have a recurring need to present nicely
formatted mathematical equations in your work, I strongly
recommend that you check out a product called MathType,
published by Design Science, Inc.:

http://www.mathtype.com

MathType is the big brother to the Microsoft Word Equation Editor--
Design Science developed Equation Editor for Microsoft, and Equation
Editor is basically "MathType Lite"...

I've only used their product on Windows, but it's also available for
the Mac.

(You don't mention the authoring environment you're using, but if
you're using a recent version of Microsoft Word, it is quite likely
that Equation Editor is already installed on your computer...
you might want to check this out.)

Hope this helps.
Barry Campbell * barry -at- webveranda -dot- com * 40.77 N, 73.97 W
--
[O]ne of the strongest motives that leads men to art
and science is escape from everyday life with its