Re: Graphics in PDF

Subject: Re: Graphics in PDF
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:11:15 -0400

At 09:39 AM 7/29/98 -0500, Connie Fabian-Isaacs wrote:

>We're trying to put our manuals up on our web site and we are using Acrobat
>to do it. The trouble we're having is with our screen shots. They look
>awful once in a PDF file. No matter what we do, and we've spent many hours
>trying different things, we can only get the screen shots to look worse.
>Has anyone had any success getting high quality screen shots into PDF? If
>so, how? If this has been a discussion topic before, be patient please, I'm
>new to this list. Thanks in advance for your help.

We produce screenshot-heavy PDFs all the time, usually from PageMaker
source documents.

Here's our method. I'm not claiming this is the best or most efficient
method possible, but it works:

-- Capture screen shots as uncompressed TIFFs at 96dpi and place in doc.
If you're using PageMaker, it's perfectly okay to use PageMaker's
built-in TIFF compression at the "moderate" setting... just hold down
the CTRL and ALT keys as you place the graphic.

-- Set your Distiller job options as follows: downsample color and
greyscale bitmap graphics to 72dpi, Automatic JPEG compression at
ZIP/JPEG Medium.

Then print or export to PDF as usual.

Capturing screens at 96 dpi and then downsampling produces acceptable
(to us) results; the screenshots will be readable on your display,
and they'll print beautifully.

Hope this helps. Best regards.
--
Barry Campbell        |   barry -at- webveranda -dot- com
Web Architect  |   (list/personal mail)