Re: Consider Non-GUI Web browsers

Subject: Re: Consider Non-GUI Web browsers
From: Steve Fouts <stefou -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:27:32 -0700

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
>One ironic note: the original poster, katav -at- YAHOO -dot- COM, suggested that
><noFrame> support was needed for Lynx users. However, current versions of
>Lynx do support frames. ;-)

One thing I've seen mentioned only in passing in this thread is the fact
many people with various disabilities rely on assistive technology and
various "non-standard" web browsers to get around.

While current versions of Lynx do "support" frames, that is, they can
display the pages after a fashion, the following framed page (the source
of which shall remain nameless) does not help the browser figure out
where to go to get information (this is actual text from an actual web
page).

FRAME: xy
FRAME: z

Wow! That's helpful! And the really sinful thing is that the addition
of a handful of ALT= and TITLE= tags (maybe a few minutes work at
worst) could have made this a much more useful site without changing
the look even a little.

HTML authors really should check out some of the fairly simple things
that they can do to increase the accessibility of their pages. Many
of them can be done without changing the look of the page at all.

http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH.html

/ ___ __/__\ \ / / _\ Steve Fouts stefou -at- eskimo -dot- com
/___ \| | ___\ | / __\ sfouts -at- nyx -dot- net
/ / \ | \ / \ stefou -at- safeco -dot- com