Question: saving or storing comments and info from SMEs

Subject: Question: saving or storing comments and info from SMEs
From: Gayle Hoffman <Gayle_Hoffman -at- SGSGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 12:57:58 +0200

Hello everyone,

Question: Do you save or store hard copy or online review comments and
info from SMEs? If yes, then how or for how long?

We have the typical, difficult and stubborn SMEs, programmers and support
people, who have been reviewing hard copies of the user manuals and
we are trying to get them to write their comments down or use insert
comments in Word. I have been keeping these because sometimes they
say we have not done the needed editing. It also makes it possible
to keep records of who said what. It can also show how much or how
often changes have been made to the same chapter/modules during the
documentation cycle.

What do you do if they refuse to write down their comments or use the
online editing features? We also continuously have the problem they
start making the changes in the documents themselves or MISusing our
templates and destroying our layout and style by cutting and pasting
from our documents. Their justification is that we don't have time
to do everything they are demanding at the moment they are demanding
it. How would you handle these SME 'crimes'? I am thinking about
password protecting all our files from now on because they are
interrupting the overall documentation process and cycle by doing
this.

Any advice is welcome especially to get us one step ahead of the SMEs,
instead always being one step behind.

Thanks,
Gayle