Re: transitive verb question

Subject: Re: transitive verb question
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:33:26 -0700

Toni wrote:

> I understand what Janice is saying but I have a real problem with "The
> File dialog appears". I can't rid myself of a mental picture of rabbits
> and hats. I wonder if anyone has another alternative to displays, is
> displayed, and appears?

I've heard this objection from other people and it has always
puzzled me -- you choose a menu item or click a button and a dialog
box appears as a result. Why is that magical? I could understand
if you were just staring at the screen and some random dialog
box appeared, but...

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html