Re: Transitive Verb Question

Subject: Re: Transitive Verb Question
From: Doug Parr <dougparr -at- INTEGRITYONLINE9 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:39:25 -0600

Lisa wrote:

"For the most part, users aren't too concerned with prescriptive grammar issues. "The window displays" is a nice, short direct way of
getting the point across to the reader. There's nothing wrong with that."

I am one user who is concerned with prescriptive grammar issues. Anyone who goes by the title of Technical Writer should be concerned with these issues. A writer who cares little for correct English is like a bus driver who cares little for the vehicle code or a baker who cares little about the difference between baking powder and baby powder.

When I read "The dialog box displays" in a user guide, I lose all confidence in the guide, and its author's ability to help me. I lose a measure of confidence in the manufacturer. For one thing, they employed an untrained writer and stamped "Technical Writer" on his or her business card. Since my business card says the same thing, that manufacturer cheapens my profession and makes light of my years of hard work and experience. What other dumb things have they done?

I used to pitch badly-written manuals into the trash, but now I save them to use as examples of what not to do.

Doug Parr

The Write Place