Re: Release w/o help?

Subject: Re: Release w/o help?
From: Tom Guettler <tguettler -at- AGRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:18:21 -0400

Kathryn asks: What to do if product ships w/o online help?

<Reply>
You stated, Kathryn, that your company released an updated version of
the product, implying that the product shipped with an 'unupdated'
version of help.

I empathize with you. I and my co-writers have been, are, and will
continue to be in the same situation. At first, it bothered me that our
product was being shipped without updated online help. But I've come to
accept that our help will never be 'current.' Software development,
including its release cycle, is more organic than linear; there is no
beginning or end. And so it goes with online help, and all related
materials.

Don't get me wrong. Our team does employ a strategy, and timelines, and
other project methodology. It's just that we expect there will be lots
of adjustments along the way.

Knowing that every company's culture is different, I expect you'll have
to sift through this and other feedback to develop an approach that
works for you. Good luck.

Tom Guettler
User Education
AGRIS Corp.