Re: Style Guides: Out of Vogue?

Subject: Re: Style Guides: Out of Vogue?
From: Dianne Walsh <Dianne -dot- Walsh -at- MEDECISION -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 12:23:03 -0400

Keith Arnett wrote:
Does anyone out there still use a style guide? Or are people just
disinclined to use them?

We use 'em--the Chicago Manual, the New York Times style guide, a good
dictionary, the venerable Strunk & White, dictionaries of computer,
electronics, and medical terminology--even my old college textbook. On
top of that, I put together an in-house guide for everyone's--not just
Documentation's--use. Do they use it? Well, that's another story. Some
do, some couldn't care less and their writing shows it.

As for myself, I have anxiety attacks if I don't have at least a
dictionary nearby. Days or weeks can go by before I need to consult one
of these references, but it surely is nice knowing they're always at
hand.

Dianne Walsh
Documentation Manager