Re: Working with translators

Subject: Re: Working with translators
From: Reuven Frank <reuven -at- E-AND-C -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:14:38 +0200

See below.

----------
From: Robert E. Garland
Sent: Mon, 13 Jul.98 00:40 AM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

> I have a project where I'll need to have the deliverable translated into
> Japanese at the end of the project. For those of you who have worked with
> translators, can you provide any tips? I don't really know what the process
> is about (i.e., how many drafts, how to verify the translation from the
> translator, etc.).

The last time I worked with Japanese translations [-ors], the system was rather primitive.
I had a big problem with honorifics and word-for-word translation. Try to check if there is someone at the other end who can translate from the Japanese translation back to English. Then see how much of your ideas survived. Good luck.
> Thanks,
>
> Suzanne
> Suzanne Pyle
> Documentation Consultant
> Communication Lines - Putting Your Message to Work!

I am also working on a project where the finished product will be
translated. In my case this is from English into Hebrew, then from
Hebrew into Russian. Any tips in addition to those that apply to
Japanese would be appreciated.

There are a lot of people nowadays, including some really fine technical writers and engineers, who are fluent in both Russian and Hebrew.
You would probably be best off finding someone who speaks Russian and English, and asking him to read back to you what the document says.
One of my biggest philosophies on writing is that: "Your result is the reaction you get." You can get your message across with a lousy job, sometimes.
The job can be done the best way in the world and some bubble-brained supervisor comes along, who wants to make a name, and who barely speaks English, and cuts your work to shreds.

Try to find out what they are receiving and hearing on the other side, and you'll know if you're getting through or not.

Best of Luck,
-Reuven Frank
reuven -at- e-and-c -dot- com

--
Robert Garland Amateur Radio Station NX3S
Hilltown Township Bucks County Grid FN20ii

~~

<<application/ms-tnef>>