Re: Working with translators

Subject: Re: Working with translators
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:37:16 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert E. Garland <robert -at- JTAN -dot- COM>

>I am also working on a project where the finished product will be
>translated. In my case this is from English into Hebrew, then from
>Hebrew into Russian. Any tips in addition to those that apply to
>Japanese would be appreciated.

---
I've had about a year's experience with translators. Here are a few
"more-obvious" hints.

If possible:
1. Ensure that the translator will translate into his/her 'mother tongue'.
2. The translator should be familiar with the technology that you are
documenting.
3. Always translate from the original source into each language. For
example, translate direct from English to Russian (not via Hebrew).
4. The translator must be able to meet any special requirements. For
example, if you need output in Frame 5.5 then the translator must be
familiar with that software.
5. Before commissioning a large project, obtain some samples from the
translator and get them proof-read by a native speaker who is
competent in the technologies. This will give you confidence in the
translator (or tell you that you should look elsewhere).
6. Before publication, get the translated work proof-read by a native
speaker who is competent in the technology. If your organization
hasn't got someone suitable, then get another translation bureau to
do the proof-reading.
7. In addition to the translation, commission a translator's glossary.
This will help ensure consistency. Insist that the translator uses
this and delivers it to you with the completed translation. You will
find the glossary *very* helpful for translating other text or for
updating the existing translation.
8. On the subject of glossaries, include a glossary with the source that
you pass to the translator. Ensure that the translator has adequate
communication with yourself (or an appropriate SME) so that he/she
can obtain any definitions necessary.
9. Write consistently in simplified English. This will minimize the
chance of confusing the translator.

(Insert usual disclaimer)

HTH,

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net