Re: the in captions?

Subject: Re: the in captions?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:24:05 -0700

Max Wyss wrote:

> Agreed, if there are several File dialog boxes the "the" does not get much
> more specific. However, the "File dialog box" would stand for "A File
> dialog box", where I understand it to be an example for a File dialog box,
> and where it does not matter that much whether the illustration completely
> fits the description in the surrounding text.
>
> The caption text is the context for the illustration, but it still depends
> on the context where the illustration (with the caption) is placed within
> the document.

I still don't understand the distinction here -- what makes
"The File dialog box" more distinct than "File dialog box"
when both are appearing as a caption directly under the
illustration of a file dialog box? What would the
surrounding text have in it that would make a difference?

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html