Re: the in captions?

Subject: Re: the in captions?
From: Reuven Frank <reuven -at- E-AND-C -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:39:24 +0200

No, in that case you would have to specify *which* file dialog box this is. For example:
"The green file dialog box."

And that is exactly the point here.
The definite article specifies that this is what you are looking at, and it is *unique* to the program (or whatever.)

When I send end-users to the figure displaying the Follow-up page. It's THE follow-up page, i.e.--the ONLY Follow-up Page. Conversely, when I am showing a dialog box (meaning, a specific TYPE of dialog box), it's: A "mini"-spreadsheet dialog box.

I am sorry that we seem to be beating this topic to death but it does have some ramifications to proper usage of articles, in general.

Thank you for bearing with me,
-Reuven Frank
reuven -at- e-and-c -dot- com