FrameMaker novice seeks knowledge

Subject: FrameMaker novice seeks knowledge
From: Geoff Trousselot <wordfactory -at- TRUMP -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:03:13 +1000

I am trying to become a FrameMaker expert and introduce myself
to the world of pre-press.

On hearing of my purchase of FrameMaker, my associate faxed
me a trial from a large Japanese publishing company.

The pages of the sample manual itself are less then A4 size but surrounding
the
pages are print markings as well as the name of the document, page number
and time and date of creation.

When I first saw this, I assumed that FrameMaker had a function that
created these surrounding print markers etc.

Now I am wondering whether I should be making an A4 sized FrameMaker
document with the print markings drawn and positioned by me, embedded
in the master documents.

QUESTION 1
Does FrameMaker have a facility which automatically generates print markings
around the page?

Which leads me to the next question
I did a bit of playing around on this issue, and I drew some print markings
in Illustrator.
I tried the old drag and drop technique of importing the Illustrator drawing
to FrameMaker. Disappointingly the drawing seemed to be converted to a
crude
raster image.

QUESTION 2
Is this normal? When using imported vector graphics in FrameMaker,
do you use OLE file linkage?

I will refrain from further questions (in this email).

Geoff Trousselot
in breezy Hobart, Tasmania

wordfactory -at- trump -dot- net -dot- au

Manager, Word Factory Translation & Design
in association with
Wes Pacific Business International