Re: Visually impaired technical writers

Subject: Re: Visually impaired technical writers
From: "David A. McMurrey" <hcexres -at- IO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:18:51 -0500

Hi everyone. I just won a contract to teach a bunch of Texas state
employees how to convert their handbooks to hypertext -- the agency will
be putting all its material on the web. My task is to teach them concept
and theory and structure and all that -- and not HTML tagging.

As part of my bid, I specified a book for the participants. I'm wondering
what your thoughts are on the best book for understanding the concept of
hypertext and the process of restructuring existing print documents for
hypertext.

Horton's book on online documentation, to my mind anyway, is a bit too
unstructured and a bit too anecdotal. Any thoughts you have I'd
appreciate!

-- David

David A. McMurrey, Ph.D. hcexres -at- io -dot- com
Technical Communications Department Ph: 512 223-4804 Off: NRG 4225
Austin Community College Online Technical Communication Courses
Austin, TX 78758 http://www.io.com/~hcexres/