Re: Digital photo images in manuals.

Subject: Re: Digital photo images in manuals.
From: "McMARTIN, Robert" <rmcmarti -at- BAEA -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 07:24:01 +0930

Tom,

At British Aerospace Australia have been using a Digital Camera to
incorporate the photographs of a Fire Control Panel (FCP). This is due
to the fact the FCP is a stand alone item with no output port (except to
the other items of the systems). If we didn't use a digital camera we
would have to either develop the photos in house (too expensive setting
up a colour photo lab), or have them done by an Defence Security
Directorate (Australian Version of the NSA) approved photo processor
(there aren't any).

We use a Minolta RD175 SLR Camera mated to an Agfa CCD unit.

The digital negatives are downloaded using Corel Photo Paint, original
size image 1600 x 1200 pixels (15 inches x 11 inches) 96 DPI, I then
reset to 8 x 6 inches at a 150 DPI resolution (I could go to 300 DPI but
choose not to for file size considerations. Once the files are
converted from the .MDC file (Minolta proprietary format) in Corel Photo
Paint they can be saved as .Jpgs. I prefer Jpegs because the files are
smaller and can be read by almost any drawing package, or an HTML
browser. These photos can then be linked directly into the manuals.

Hope this helps, if you need any further information just email me
offline.

regards

Rob.

Robert McMartin
Documentation and Training Development Officer
British Aerospace Australia
677 Victoria Street,
Abbotsford, Victoria,
Australia 3067
61 3 9208 0532
There can be no reconciliation where there is no open warfare.
There must be a battle, a brave boisterous battle, with
pennants waving and cannon roaring, before there can be
peaceful treaties and enthusiastic shaking of hands.
-- Mary Elizabeth Braddon
(1837-1915).
Robert McMartin does not speak on behalf of British Aerospace
Australia and they agree.