Re: pdf vs. html

Subject: Re: pdf vs. html
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WWW -dot- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 19:55:38 -0500

In our previous episode, Scott Wahl said:

> Why are buying FrameMaker to create PDF files? Just buy Adobe Acrobat
> Exchange. You postscript Word files, and then use Distiller (part of the
> Exchange package) to distill the postcript files into PDF. Acrobat Exchange
> costs about $200, FrameMaker costs about $2000. FrameMaker is great, but not
> if all you want to do is deliver Word files using PDF.

Uh, that turns out not to be the case. At worst, from Adobe,
FrameMaker is about $850, I think. Street price is often around $550.

And I just found a mail-order vendor who's selling it for $247.
That's the full version, not an upgrade.

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Your eyes are like aquariums," he murmured admiringly.
"Don't you mean -- aquamarines?"
"No -- aquariums. They're sort of a murky green."