Re: pdf vs. html

Subject: Re: pdf vs. html
From: Winfried Reng <winfried -dot- reng -at- STAR-GMBH -dot- DE>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:36:04 +0100

Hi Diane,

As others already pointed out HTML and PDF are two formats
with two different goals:

PDF:
o To deliver paper versions so that users can print with the
correct layout.
o As online help IF all your cross-references and toc and index
converts to hyperlinks. Then also the layout has to be
optimized for screen display (paper format, fonts).
For this you would need FrameMaker. With Word/Distiller you
could only display your paper version on screen. Nothing else.
No hyperlinks.

HTML:
o WWW
o Online help. We used FrameMaker, Webworks Publisher and some
scripts to get the HTML that we wanted.
Fonts etc. can be controlled by the HTML code. Therefore
the layout doesn´t have to be such different from that what
you have in mind.
Additionally we bought our own browser and implemented
search of a set of HTML files or printing whole sections.
Even without these adjustments I always would prefer HTML
for PDF: faster, layout adjusts to window size.

Best regards,

Winfried