Re: translation software

Subject: Re: translation software
From: Winfried Reng <winfried -dot- reng -at- STAR-GMBH -dot- DE>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:26:23 +0200

Hi Damien,

>I know there is translation software which is used by translation agencies
>but have been asked to check if there is any which can be used before text
>is sent to the translation agencies. As far as I am translation software
>basically involved checking for duplication in text and ensuring the same
>text isn't translated twice but that the first translation is used again
>thus cutting costs/timescales and giving greater consistency in the
>translation. Has anyone heard of any software that can be used
>pre-translation?

STAR Transit does what you want. It´s a translation memory tool
that could help you in two ways:

(1) Transit imports files of almost any dtp/wp format. Then
the translator can translate into a new language. The next
time you have to do an update Transit "pre-translates" all
already translated sentences and - depending on your settings -
also sentences that matches to a given percentage. Thus you
don´t need to redo everything again. With the "associative
network" Transit also can suggest fuzzy matches during the
translation.
If necessary you can also import Translations done with other
systems.

(2) It separates the text and layout information of files and
presents only the text to the translator. He/she can concentrate
on the text. The layout information cannot be changed. After the
translation text and layout are merged together again.
No labourious fiddling with layout necessary. All graphics still
in place. All cross-references intact.

Transit can handle ALL languages (besides certain Arabian
languages and Hebrew) and files of almost any dtp/wp programm
(e.g. Word, FrameMaker, PageMaker, Interleaf, QuarkXPress, SGML,
HTML).
It also can import and export FrameMaker files, no matter whether
they are in English or in Chinese.
The project management and translation UI is optimized for
translators and their needs.

Transit comes bundled with TermStar, a helpful terminology
management tool.

Costs: around 1500 UK pounds (don´t know the exact British prices),
most filters included.

If you need any further information, have a look at our website
http://www.star-ag.ch. There you´ll find the address of your
nearest distributor.)

Regards,

Winfried