Re: DEBATE: Word-processing or DTP

Subject: Re: DEBATE: Word-processing or DTP
From: Gord Deyo <DeyoG -at- ITLS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:12:42 -0400

> I like to write, edit, and use graphics. I don't have much
> imagination
> so I am a little
> weak in the graphics department, but when I put something in there
> that
> looks good,
> I am one proud technical communicator. My current company has been
> extremely
> pleased (so they say) with the outcome of my efforts. I don't want to
> ever be labeled
> "just a writer".

Hey, Stephen King is "just a writer," and he's doing OK. The evolution
of the TW, though, has come to include a lot more than just writing. We
are more or less responsible for every aspect of a publication,
including everything from the research of what is to go into it to
dealing with the printers during production.

That is why there are so many elements that make a good TW. Just knowing
how to write well is not enough. There are many great writers out there
(some not so great but successful nonetheless) that would make terrible
TWs - maybe even Stephen King. Now if we could just make his rates...

Gordo