Re: always look for a new job?

Subject: Re: always look for a new job?
From: Gord Deyo <DeyoG -at- ITLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:57:15 -0400

> Here in the US, the job situation has changed over the past 15 to 20
> years. The days of working for big companies from "cradle to grave"
> are
> over. Since the oil crisises of the 70s and 80s, and the constant
> downsizing trend; the trend has been for all peoples employed in this
> country to keep a "pulse on the market."
>
> I always advise to keep your resume up-to-date, and to be ready for
> the
> right opportunity inside or outside the company. In the US, there is
> no
> such thing any more as job security -- those days are over (unless you
> work for the UAW or the United Steelworkers Union). I don't know how
> it
> is in the rest of the world, but the US job market has become a
> "mercenery" one.

I think one of the reasons that many are always "looking" is because of
the volatility in the high tech industry, which can leave you feeling
insecure all the time. This may not be a bad thing. Why?

High tech firms are starting up and going out of business every day. I
would bet that most of the existing high tech firms were born after the
last recession and, despite a growing economy that has a lot of other
companies making record profits, many are losing their shirts. What will
it be like when the next recession comes?

I agree that "cradle to grave" employment is a thing of the past. If you
keep in mind that the odds are against you in having a long career where
you are, it won't come as such a shock when one day you find yourself
having to look for other work.

Gordo