Automatic caption numbering in Word97 -- not updating

Subject: Automatic caption numbering in Word97 -- not updating
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:03:22 -0500

I need some quick help! I'm using Word97's caption feature to put figure
#s on graphics, and it's not working the way I thought it would. Word
help is characteristically helpless, and I can't find anything in the
archives. The field (name? formula? description?) Word used for the
figure number in every instance is: {SEQ Figure/*ARABIC}. So my
questions are:

(1) Was I wrong to assume Word would automatically update the figure
numbers if I added or deleted a figure?
(2) Was I also wrong to assume that I could copy the field from the
caption, paste it in the text (as in "See Figure {field}") and have Word
automatically update the text as needed?
(3) If I wasn't wrong in my assumptions, what am I doing wrong in
practice?

Thanks for any help you can offer. And thanks for not telling me why I
should be using Frame! ;-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/