Page numbering updates in Word

Subject: Page numbering updates in Word
From: Rahel Bailie <rbailie -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:32:31 -0700

Here is a summary of the comments -- my apologies to the first person
with a suggestion, whose reply I seem to have misplaced. A big thanks to
all who helped out; I didn't feel like such a klutz after realizing it
wasn't me, it was the software!

(1) Using the Print section of Word's Options Menu, select the tick box
which tells Word to Update Fields.

(2) Try hard coding the page total beside the page number field.

(3)Disconcerting as [the problem] is, I don't think it's actually WRONG.
The Number of
Pages field has to wait until you've performed some action that actually
counts the pages before it can have a meaningful value. Since the page
count
can change from one session to another (sometimes for no better reason
than
that you're using different fonts on different machines), it's reset to
the
default when you first open the document. Irritating but not completely
irrational.

(4) I encountered the same problem with many WORD 6 documents I
produced.
I checked everything, but could not solve the problem, neither could
anybody of the microsoft hotline. It seems this is again one of the
numerous bugs that makes working with WORD a real hazzle and
absolutely unefficient.

(5) I had the same problem (couldn't get the page n of n feature to
work) and I
finally concluded that the document was corrupted. I created a new
document with new headers and footers and copied the text into the new
document. The page n of n feature worked in the new document.

Rahel A. Bailie, Senior Technical Writer
Castleton Network Systems Corporation
Tel 604-293-0039 (5432) / Fax 604-293-0047
http://www.castleton.com