Re: Q. Acronyms -- Keep The Caps?

Subject: Re: Q. Acronyms -- Keep The Caps?
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:27:00 -0700

Rowena Hart wrote:

> I use the old journalism rule and don't capitalize the
> first letter of each word in the acronym. For example:
>
> COM (component object model)
> HTML (hyper text mark-up language)

I would definitely use lowercase for all but proper names. I hate it
when authors (or editors!) try to match letters in an expanded acronym:

DTP DeskTop Publishing
DBM DataBase Management
HTML HyperText Markup Language ("hypertext" is one word)
SHED Segmented Hypergraphic EDitor
XML eXtensible Markup Language

Puh-leez!

--David