Re: Doc Query

Subject: Re: Doc Query
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- BROWN-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:57:02 -0700

Mr. Grainger--

> Can you tell me how you justify on-line help instead of printed user
> guides? Based on usability studies, surverys, customer preferences,
> whatever?

I'd say more "usage" studies than "usability" studies. Several years
ago, in my last staff position, we turned out excellent manuals that
were seldom read--users freely admitted that they didn't like having to
look things up. Some said that manuals were kept in a central location,
not necessarily even accessible to the folks using the software!

Around the same time, 16-bit Windows help was maturing significantly,
and new Windows applications without online help simply weren't taken
seriously.

That convinced us to include help in our doc set, along with a "getting
started" book (mostly background and theory), and a thorough online
tutorial that actually involved using the application.

I believe a similar model still serves that company quite well (later
enhanced with support and some updates on the web), and their customers
seem very pleased.

> My client wants printed user guides only but is willing to be
> convinced by me that they should go to on-line help combined with
> printed quick ref cards.

This is a popular combination and can be very effective. As far as I'm
concerned, there's no hard and fast rule--you have to consider your
audience and subject matter first, then factor in schedule and funding.

> Do you have any analyses, studies, preference indicators, etc.,
> that I can use to convince my client that on-line help is better than
> printed user guides?
>
> The superiority of on-line help vs. printed user guides is a
> continuing and inconclusive topic. So far, there is no definitive,
> convincing, objective basis for one type vs. the other.

I'm sure other list menbers would be a better source of this
information.

Hope this helps.

--David

David M. Brown -- Brown Inc.