Re: always look for a new job?

Subject: Re: always look for a new job?
From: Barry Kieffer <barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:50:22 -0700

There is another aspect to the discussion of "Always look for a new job".

The keyword here is JOB.

Up until the 70's the definition of "Career" was to join a company, work
your way up the corporate ladder, and retire with full benefits.

The 70's brought up acquisition and merger mania.

Now "Career" is what you do - I am a technical writer.

"Job" is where you practice your career - I have a job at Tektronix.

This is also reflected in tenure vs. experience.

I know a great many technical writers who claim more than 20-years of
experience as a technical writer; but all of the more than 20-years have
been at the same company.

Is that experience or tenure?

When I worked in/as an electrical engineer the rule of thumb was that only
the first three years at any company could be claimed as experience.

Technical writing is a "relatively" new field. In my 15-years in electrical
engineering, about 25% to 75% of my time was spent (happily) doing technical
writing. I do not claim all 15 years as technical writing experience.

I would be interested in hearing from other technical writers how you view
the tenure vs. experience debate.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Technical Writer