The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: Andriene elizabeth Ferguson-addei <aefergus -at- LEARN -dot- SENECAC -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:22:34 -0400

I am conducting some research on the tools technical writers use in
preparing documentation (hard copy,online). I am interested in your
opinions on how organizations decide what tools(i.e. Ms Word, Framemaker,
Robohelp) should be used to prepare documentation and what role, if any do
tech writers play in these corporate decisions. Why, for instance, does
MS Word seem to be a standard tool despite its limitations ? Is it because
of its popularity (or that of Bill Gates) or its ease of use ?

I am also intersted in knowing the popular tools amongst technical writers
(i.e. if you had your choice, what would it be) and the techniques used to
stay abreast of new technology.

I look forward to hearing from you..................

Andriene Ferguson
aefergus -at- learn -dot- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca